Sunday, November 5, 2017

The Mass Movie

Why is it that I can't stand the average Indian masala movie?

The short answer is Girl, coz you have some resemblance of brains and these movies are made for the ones who leave them behind when they enter a theatre.

Now, I have two friends who are Vijay fans and I got conned into watching two movies, Mersal and Thupakki. For the first , I innocently accompanied them to a theatre since it was a Tamil movie and I was missing India. They insisted Thuappaki was one of the best and so I thought I'll give it a try and agreed to watch it one Sunday evening.

Both movies were long. Three hours long. And painful. That's the only way I can describe both movies. Now I understand that these movies are mass and hence need to be appealing to a group of people who like mindless heroines and mental action sequences. One of my friends have seen Thupakki ten times and Mersal thrice.

Usually you can go by IMDB ratings to decide if you want to devote two -three hours to an movie. Mersal has an IMDB rating of 8.9.
In Mersal, I cringed at the poor writing, the long long scenes which were crying for editing, the close-ups of Vijay's unnecessary macho shots and the mind-numbing unrealistic film-making.

I couldn't wait to get out. I am now  judgemental of those who like these movies which are made for an audience assumed to  not possess any sense of art or cinema. Its not that they assume the audience to be illeterate, its just that they assume people to be downright idiots who question nothing but follow the hero because he dances well with the girls and  makes a victory sign. No self-respecting heroines would agree to a part in these movies but it considered an honor to act opposite the Vijay's of this world.


Its not that I don't like all Tamil movies. I have seen more than my average share of good Tamil movies but these mass movies are mind-bogglingly insane. I lost patience very quickly at their attempts at getting a 'message' out to the world.
These messages are not based on facts and are often the directors own point of view. Movies are meant to be a means of communication and there is not one to validate if a Vijay says don't go to health check ups since you would be told you have a disease even if you don't have one. Indians have one of the highest cases of diabetes and health check ups are for the rich only while the happily rice-eating Middle class die from the heart attack because it went undetected.

Watching every mass movie is a checklist for most of the good people of Tamil Nadu  and there is not one mass movie that would dare to be missed.  Most people, like my friends, watch it at least a few times. At attempting to bring out a social cause and make everyone happy while fulfilling the actor's future political aspirations, these movies try hard to be not just entertainment.

I wish I had given both movies a miss. I wish more people will.


No comments:

Post a Comment